Saturday, March 1, 2014

Murmuring

"I have heard the murmuring of the people of Israel, which they murmur against me." Numbers  Ch. 14, vs. 27.
According to the Book of Numbers, "the whole congregation of Israel" gave itself to complaining in the face of the new life God had given them in the wilderness:
     Why did He bring us here?
     It would be better if we had died!
     What are we here for--to be attacked and killed by our enemies?
     We were better off in Egypt!
Sound familiar? God's people--ourselves included--are given to murmuring.  It is both infectious and dangerous.
"'As I live,' says the Lord, 'what your have said in my hearing I will do to you.'"
And so all of the adult population--"twenty years old and upward"-- that left Egypt, over 600,000 (see the post on Numbers in February) were destined to expire in the wilderness.  "Not one shall come into the land where I said I would make you dwell, except Caleb . . . and Joshua, the son of Nun."
God's purposes would be fulfilled none the less.
"But your little ones, who you said would become a prey, I will bring in, and they shall know the land you have despised."  Numbers Ch. 14, vs. 31.
Have you ever heard murmuring in the congregation?  Be careful!

1 comment:

  1. Murmuring is one of the most subtle of sins. It is like digging a hole under someone's house foundation. Murmuring on any level is exceedingly dangerous to the soul. It should be unheard of among Christians. Yet, very sadly, many Christians murmur as if it were perfectly acceptable! Have you ever murmured?

    ReplyDelete