Monday, March 3, 2014

Anger Management

   "For I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love I have for you."  2 Corinthians Ch. 2, vs. 4.
Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians was written in the aftermath of an angry confrontation --"righteous" or otherwise :
   "I made up my mind not make you another painful visit," vs. 1.
Instead, he sent them a severe letter, and now, impatient for news, he wrote again out of anxious concern for the effects of this earlier communication.  Had their attitude towards him changed?
   "For this is why I wrote, that I might test you, and know whether you are obedient in everything.  Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive."
Forgiveness was necessary, even from the Apostle:
    "What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ,  to keep Satan from gaining advantage over us, for we are not ignorant of his designs." Ch. 2., vs. 9 - 11.
  Our temper is often the means by which the enemy of our souls gains mastery over us, even temporarily, and the consequences can be far greater than we can imagine.
What can we learn from Paul the Apostle about anger management?

1 comment:

  1. Paul was angry at time with others, too, like Peter. Maybe he needed classes in anger management himself!

    ReplyDelete