Friday, May 30, 2014

Reflections from the fog

This morning, as I began to read chapter 39 in Job, I couldn't help but think of spring coming to Washington County after the long and hard winter.  Granted, I don't have wild goats and unicorns cavorting on my lawn, but we have seen the geese fly north and are now watching leaves burst forth and spread themselves to catch rays from the occasional sun. (You guessed correctly; it's foggy in Jonesport today!)  We try to see who will be the first to hear the "peep frogs" entertain us with a nightly chorus, and who will see the first robin.   In times like these I think of Genesis and the creation story--"...and God saw that it was good."


As I read the chapter from Leviticus concerning several types of offerings, all I could think of was that it would be impossible for me to get this right.  At some point, I would be "in a fog."  Even if I had made these sacrifices dozens of times, I guarantee I would sooner or later make a mistake and in doing so, dishonor God.  And that would not be my intention. 


Job has been in a similar place...he has not intended to dishonor God in any way.  He doesn't think he has, and yet, all this hardship has come upon him.


So here I sit with my cup of coffee, thinking of you reading these same passages.  What does this all mean to you?  I have been trying to make connections between the chapters, trying to make meaning for myself, and I find myself thanking God for this earth, the birds and animals, and  the ocean at the foot of my lawn.  I also thank God for promises...though it is impossible for me to get things "right" all of the time, though hardships will come my way, God's love and forgiveness and mercy and grace cover me.  Unlike the fog, they will never disappear.     


    

No comments:

Post a Comment