Friday, April 11, 2014

Parenthood...whew!

I found similarities between the readings from Joshua and Luke today...the difficulties of parenthood.  It seems to me that Manoah and his wife tried to prepare for the birth of their son; they even requested help from one we might consider a child-rearing expert, an angel of the Lord.  The man with two sons tried to treat his children with fairness when he divided his goods.  In short order, all of these parents find that rearing a child is difficult; things don't go as they had planned or hoped...their children have minds of their own!


Many of us could relate similar experiences: there are some days and some situations when rearing a child seems overwhelming.  As I read these passages, I thought, "I wonder what God would say about me?  Am I one of the difficult children?  Does my head get turned away from what is good for me?  Do I waste what has been freely given to me?  Do I complain and try to bend God to my will?"  Dear fellow Bible Club readers, I admit...there are some days, and there are some situations.  I must bow my head. 


These passages give me a lot to think about today...parents and children, me and mine, God and me...bless us all, Holy One.




No comments:

Post a Comment