Friday, January 31, 2014

Verily, verily...

This post should have been up days ago, but to be honest...I am catching up in my reading.  So with apologies, here we go.  It has been a long time since I have read the King James version of the Bible. So, it was with surprise that I started noticing one of my favorite Gospel of John words showing up in Matthew.  Often in John, Jesus says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you..." and then we hear something extremely important. In Matthew 17 and 18, I find "verily,"  not repeated as it is in John, but certainly there.  How have I missed "verily?"  Considered archaic by most, I found one web site that graphed its use as increasing, and I think that is neat because I enjoy hearing and saying that word.  Sometimes when I read the Bible, I don't give the precious Word the full attention it deserves.  A signpost like "verily" stops me short and makes me think.  "Verily, verily" really gets my attention! 


According to Webster's Third New International Dictionary,  "verily" means "in very truth," "beyond doubt or question," "certainly," and "confidently."  I could add "and attention-getting.  In 17:20, Jesus tells us with certainty, that if we have faith "as a grain of mustard seed," nothing will be impossible unto us.  What does Jesus mean when he says "nothing."  What does that say about our faith?  Look for "verily."  What else do you see in the Gospel of Matthew that is beyond doubt or question? 

5 comments:

  1. Verily, a good observation. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the remarks I made when reading chapters 26 and 27.
    (1) Judas stayed after he was identified as the one who would betray Jesus. The idea that he left and came back with the soldiers in Gethsemane has been more prevelent to me.
    (2) That Judas took communion with the rest of the disciplles.
    (3) That Jesus went to Gethsemane will all the disciples, but he went father with Peter, John and James.
    (4) That at the cross both criminals said bad things against Jesus
    (5) Matthew doesn't have the 7 words of the cross.
    (5) The citation of the fulfillment of the prophecy concerning the parting of Jesus' garment and casting of the lots is not in certain translations of the Bible.
    (6) Joseph of Arimathias was the only one who took care of Jesus' burial.

    I wanted to share these with you.

    François

    ReplyDelete
  3. (1) In the Old Testament, not only that Moses living in the Palace knew that he was Hebrew, but he also knew his mother, sister, and brother Aaron.
    (2) Exodus tells us that Moses fled by himself once he knew that Pharaoh heard that he killed an Egyptian. Where did we learned about his name being removed from all documents and archives of Egypt?
    (3) That God appeared to Aaron and told him to go and meet Moses on his way to deliver the children of Israel in Egypt.

    I just wanted to share these with you.

    François

    ReplyDelete
  4. referencing what you said Phyllis, it's like the old E.F. Hutton commericals, "When EF Hutton speaks, people listen" when "verily is said, people listened" (in Jesus day). As to Francois's comments, it's interesting how many of the gospel accounts record not only Jesus words and wonders (miracles, "signs" {semeion} in John) but his 'ways' as well, those things he did by virtue of saying nothing or leaving a thing undone (what we would consider undone or undealt with) like Judas' actions. This divine restraint is instructive. How many times do I 'do the work of the Lord' (or so I think) when all I end up doing is messing things up and not letting go and letting God deal with the matter. Jesus' respected free will and was never co-dependent, He didn't feel the need to rescue people or heal everybody and meet every need. He took time out, He allowed things to happen, hence the incredible restraint

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paraphrasing ... but with faith, nothing is impossible. We really need to listen up when HE speaks. Instead we talk ourselves out of things we want because it might require more effort than we really want to exert, we listen to friends "advice" or worse the advice of people who really don't want us to succeed, we may go with whatever the politically correct notion is at the time. It makes me sad and a little mad at myself when I think of all the times I didn't listen to HIM. He never underestimates us ... we do that to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete